Specialized Vocabulary





Welcome my friend! This is a blog post where I will be putting different terms and their definition. My dream is to work in the medical field so there will be a lot of medical terms! This is a great tool to enrich your knowledge and have a deeper understanding of the articles. I hope this is helpful for you and don’t forget to have fun😊

 

Terms                                                               French equivalent

Skin membrane                                                 Membrane cutanĂ©e

Definition

“The skin is an epithelial membrane also called the cutaneous membrane. It is a stratified squamous epithelial membrane resting on top of connective tissue. The apical surface of this membrane is exposed to the external environment and is covered with dead, keratinized cells that help protect the body from desiccation and pathogens.''

Anatomy and Physiology- Body Membranes (site consulted on 2021-09-03) [online] https://courses.lumenlearning.com/nemcc-ap/chapter/body-membranes/

Neonate                                                              Nouveau-nĂ©

Definition

In the medical field, a neonate is an infant less than four weeks old.

Residency                                                            RĂ©sidence

Definition

“Residency or postgraduate training is specifically a stage of graduate medical education. It refers to a qualified physician who practices medicine, usually in a hospital or clinic, under the direct or indirect supervision of a senior medical clinician registered in that specialty such as an attending physician or consultant.”

Residency (medicine) (site consulted on 2021-09-03) [online] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residency_(medicine)

Endocrinology                                                     Endocrinologie

Definition

“Endocrinology is the study of medicine that relates to the endocrine system, which is the system that controls hormones.”

Hormone Health- What is Endocrinology? (site consulted on 2021-09-03) [online] https://www.hormone.org/what-is-endocrinology 

Rheumatology                                                      Rhumatologie

Definition

The study of rheumatism, arthritis, and other disorders of the joints, muscles and ligaments.

Psychosis                                                              Psychose

Definition

A severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Arrhythmia                                                           Arythmie

Definition

'' An arrhythmia is an irregular heartbeat. ''

WebMD- Arrhythmia (site consulted on 2021-09-03) [online] https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/heart-disease-abnormal-heart-rhythm

Triglyceride                                                         TriglycĂ©ride

Definition

''Any of a group of lipids that are esters formed from one molecule of glycerol and three molecules of one or more fatty acids, are widespread in adipose tissue, and commonly circulate in the blood in the form of lipoproteins''

Merriam-Webster- Triglyceride (site consulted on 2021-09-03) [online] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/triglyceride 

Caveats                                                                Mises en garde

Definition

''An explanation or warning that should be remembered when you are doing or thinking about something''

Merriam-Webster- Caveat (site consulted on 2021-09-03) [online] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caveat 

Commentaires

  1. Hi Elisabeth, I read all of your posts and they are really interesting and relevant. Your blog catches my attention because I also want to work in the medical field. Furthermore, I like the structure of your different posts but I encourage you to add some pictures. Also, don't forget to write your references like we do in a mediagraphy.

    RépondreEffacer
    Réponses
    1. Hi Noémie, I am glad you like my blog and thank you so much for your input, i will definitely add more picture! For my references, I checked with Miss Chrisafoudis and we only have to put our sources when we quote the definition words by words.

      Effacer
  2. Hello there! I just wanted to mention that I found your words very interesting and as I do not know much about medicine, they really helped me understand better because most were words I did not know.

    RépondreEffacer

Publier un commentaire

Messages les plus consultés