Persuasive Essay Practice

 




Welcome back! 

Here are some articles I used for my Persuasive Essay Practice. The goal of this essay was to find a quality I think is essential to become a great doctor. The quality I choose is empathy. In my opinion, acquiring this trait can be very beneficial for the patients and the work environment. 

1) Empathy in Medicine- Canadian Medical Association (site consulted on 2021-11-06) [online] 

https://www.cma.ca/physician-wellness-hub/content/empathy-in-medicine#:~:text=When%20patients%20feel%20like%20they,reduces%20burnout%20and%20improves%20wellbeing 

This article is a great way to learn about the benefits empathy can bring. It explains how this quality helps with patient care, burnouts in physicians and the work environment. This article also provides some steps to help develop the empathetic side in the medical field. In addition, they come up with a few examples of sentences to say when a patient is under stress.

2) The Fear of Hospitals or Nosocomephobia (site consulted 2021-11-06) [online] 

 https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-fear-of-hospitals-2671888

In my essay, I explain how patients can have a few different fears related to hospitals. Whilst reading this article, I learned that this fear of hospitals is an actual condition, and it has a name: Nosocomephobia. This article explains the main components of this condition and how we can recognize some symptoms. 

3) Medical Education- The Role of Empathy in Medicine: A Medical Student's Perspective (site consulted on 2021-11-06) [online]  https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/role-empathy-medicine-medical-students-perspective/2007-06

This longer article is great for understanding the foundations of empathy. It explains how we can develop this quality further and how it can be used throughout teaching, learning and in medicine. I strongly recommend this article in order to understand what empathy truly is. 

Commentaires

  1. Brilliant selection, Elisabeth. I especially like that last article. I skimmed though it, and it looks quite interesting!

    Here are few elements to improve:
    - Subject-verb agreement (prevents / improves): It explains how this quality can help with patient care, prevents burnouts in physicians and improves (because of the 'can', the verb needs to be in the infinitive. OR remove 'can' and change (help).
    - Pronoun unclear. What do you mean by it? Empathy? The article?: It also provides some steps...
    - The empathetic side of what? Whom?: It also provides some steps to help develop the empathetic side.

    RépondreEffacer

Publier un commentaire

Messages les plus consultés